Relevant Rental Solutions - Rental Agreement Terms & Conditions
a. “Lessee” shall mean the party identified on the face of this Rental Agreement as the “Customer.”
b. “Lessor” shall mean Relevant Solutions, LLC d/b/a Relevant Rental Solutions.
2. RENTAL PERIOD: The rental period shall commence from the date of shipment of the rental equipment, accessories and related spare parts and supplies covered by this Rental Agreement (the “Equipment”) from the point of shipment and shall continue until Lessee’s receipt of an off rent confirmation notice, or, for all rentals in which Lessee is responsible for arranging freight, the return of the Equipment to Lessor’s yard. The rental period shall not be subject to pro-ration.
3. DETERMINATION OF RENTAL CHARGES: Each piece of Equipment (including any related accessories) listed in this Rental Agreement shall be provided to Lessee for the rental period and at the rental rate herein stipulated. The minimum rental period is seven (7) days. A month is defined as a period of twenty-eight (28) days.
4. PAYMENT: All rentals and other charges due under this Rental Agreement are due and payable within thirty (30) days from delivery of invoice; provided that if Lessor determines Lessee’s creditworthiness is not acceptable, then rent shall be due and payable in advance on a weekly basis to Lessor at the address set forth in this Rental Agreement and payment for the minimum rental period shall be due before the delivery of the Equipment to Lessee or the latter’s agent or carrier, unless otherwise agreed in writing. In addition to its right to terminate this Rental Agreement, Lessor, in its sole discretion, may change payment terms to advance billing and payment due upon receipt, if Lessee becomes delinquent on any payments due and owing under this Rental Agreement or any other rental agreement with Lessor. All overdue payments, for all charges, including damages and losses, shall bear interest at the lesser of 18% per annum or the highest amount otherwise allowed by applicable law, without prejudice to Lessor’s other rights hereunder or under applicable law. Any invoicing requirements of Lessee must be provided in advance of its acceptance of this Rental Agreement or will be deemed to have been waived by Lessee.
5. LOADING, UNLOADING AND TRANSPORTATION: Lessee shall bear the expense of and responsibility for unloading and reloading the Equipment at Lessee’s receiving point, including all injuries and damages resulting therefrom, and shall pay all demurrage charges incurred at the shipping or receiving points. Lessee shall be responsible for shipping expenses from the original point of shipment to Lessee’s receiving point and all return shipping expenses to Lessor’s yard or such other point as Lessor shall in writing direct, regardless of whether these costs are advanced by Lessor. However, if Lessor directs Lessee in writing to return all Equipment to a place other than Lessor’s yard, then Lessee shall pay the shipping expenses up to but not beyond the amount that would have been required to return the Equipment to Lessor’s yard. Lessee must have an authorized agent available to sign a bill of lading upon delivery of the Equipment by the carrier. If no agent is provided at the time of delivery, then Lessee authorizes Lessor’s employee to execute the bill of lading as Lessee’s agent and such execution shall be deemed an acceptance of the condition of the Equipment upon delivery, and for all losses occurring to the Equipment thereafter while in Lessee’s possession, except as expressly set forth in Section 15 below.
6. INSPECTION: Before the Equipment is loaded for transit to Lessee, Lessee may require an inspection thereof by a qualified inspector. If Lessee does not inspect the Equipment before it is loaded for transit, then Lessee is conclusively deemed to have accepted that the Equipment is in good running order without broken or worn out parts and in a clean and unmarred condition. Lessor shall have the right at any time during normal business hours to enter any Equipment Location (as defined below) and shall be given free access thereto and afforded necessary facilities for the purpose of inspecting the Equipment.
7. MAINTENANCE, OPERATION AND REPAIRS: Lessee shall not make any alterations, additions or improvements to the Equipment without Lessor’s prior written consent. Lessee shall at its own expense operate, maintain, keep and return in good repair the Equipment and return it in the same condition in which it was received, normal wear and tear excepted. Specifically Lessee must:
a. Ensure that the Equipment is operated by qualified personnel in accordance with applicable manufacturer’s guidelines and instructions.
b. Ensure that the Equipment is used for applications within the capacity ratings of the Equipment.
c. Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations in connection with operating, handling and transporting the Equipment.
d. Inspect the Equipment on a regular basis.
e. Supply all fuel, coolants and lubricants necessary to operate the Equipment.
f. Immediately notify Lessor of any known problems or malfunctions or suspected malfunctions or problems or those that should reasonably be known or suspected upon regular inspection that are necessary to keep the Equipment in good running order.
g. Perform all routine and minor repairs and maintenance necessary to keep the Equipment in good running order, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
h. Replace all broken or worn out parts on the Equipment, unless otherwise agreed in writing, and notify Lessor immediately of any broken or worn out parts on the Equipment.
8. DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT: Lessee shall be liable to Lessor for all loss or damage to the Equipment, while it is in the possession of Lessee, regardless of the cause or origin of such loss or damage, except as limited by Section 15. In the event of partial loss or damage to the Equipment, Lessee shall immediately notify Lessor of such, and if its failure to so notify Lessor results in additional or consequential damages to Lessor, then Lessee agrees to pay for all such damages. All repairs to damaged Equipment will be subject to and governed by Section 15.
9. INDEMNIFICATION: LESSEE SHALL RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD LESSOR AND ITS AFFILIATES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MANAGERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES HARMLESS AGAINST ANY CLAIM, DEMAND, LOSS, DAMAGE, LIABILITY, LAWSUIT, CAUSE OF ACTION, JUDGMENT, PENALTY AND/OR EXPENSE (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, COURT COSTS AND OTHER COSTS OF SUIT) ON ACCOUNT OF PROPERTY DAMAGE OR LOSS, OR PERSONAL INJURIES (INCLUDING ILLNESS, DISABILITY OR DEATH) RELATED, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO THE RENTAL OF THE EQUIPMENT TO LESSEE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WHILE THE EQUIPMENT IS IN LESSEE’S POSSESSION OR CONTROL OR IN THE POSSESSION OR CONTROL OF ANY ASSIGNEE OR SUBLETTER, REGARDLESS OF THE NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY OR FAULT OF ANY INDEMNIFIED PARTY.
10. INSURANCE: Lessee shall at Lessee’s own expense and for all relevant periods maintain: (i) commercial general liability insurance to protect Lessee and Lessor against damage to property or persons from the operation, handling and use of the Equipment during the rental period with minimum coverage of $1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 general aggregate, (ii) commercial auto insurance to protect Lessee and Lessor against damage to property or persons from transportation-related loses with minimum coverage of $1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 general aggregate; (iii) broad form property insurance covering the Equipment at the replacement value identified on the Proposal or bill of lading (the “Replacement Value”); and, (iv) if customer is hauling the Equipment, all risk cargo insurance, at the Replacement Value, (v) workers compensation insurance for its employees in amounts required by the laws of the state in which the applicable work is performed, and (vi) such other insurance as may be requested by Lessor in advance of shipment to Lessee. Lessee shall cause its insurer to issue an endorsement identifying that all insurance identified in this Section 10 shall be primary to that of Lessor to the extent of Lessee’s obligations herein and that Lessee and its insurer agree to waive their subrogation rights with respect thereto. Lessee shall provide thirty (30) day advance written notice to Lessor of any change or termination of any such policy prior to change or cancellation, and Lessee shall cause Lessor (and, if requested by Lessor, Lessor’s vendor) to be named as an additional insured or loss payee, as applicable, on each such policy, other than Workers’ Compensation. Failure to provide the requisite insurance shall not be deemed as a waiver of this provision.
11. LEGAL EXPENSES: Lessee shall pay all costs, charges and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) incurred in retaking possession of the Equipment hereby rented, in the collection of any sums that may be due and owing to Lessor by Lessee, including, but not limited to, the defense of any action brought against Lessor for damages caused by the Equipment to any person while the Equipment is in the possession of Lessee. The Equipment shall be deemed to be in the possession of Lessee for all purposes of this Rental Agreement from the time Lessee begins loading it for transit from Lessor’s yard until the time that Lessee has completed unloading the Equipment at Lessor’s yard or such other points as Lessor shall in writing direct, except as otherwise expressly provided herein.
12. ENVIRONMENTAL FEES: An environmental fee will be charged on all equipment containing fuel, oil, refrigerant, or other fluids, liquids, or gases that could have an environmental impact. This includes generators, transformers, chillers, air conditioners, heaters, compressors, after coolers, fuel tanks, all Tier 4 Final diesel equipment, and other similar equipment. If the equipment subject to the fee is also subject to shift rates, the amount of the fee will vary in proportion to the applicable shift rate. THE FEE IS NOT A TAX OR GOVERNMENT CHARGE. It is used to help offset expenses incurred operating in an environmentally sound manner.
13. SUBLETTING & ASSIGNMENT: Lessee shall not re-rent any Equipment, nor shall Lessee assign or transfer any interest in this Rental Agreement, in either case without the prior written consent of Lessor. If the Equipment is re-rent, then Lessee shall require its customer, the end user and any third party in contractual privity in between to be bound by the terms and conditions hereof.
14. DEFAULT AND REMEDIES: Lessee shall be in default under this Rental Agreement if any of the following events occur: (i) Lessee fails to make any payment in accordance with the terms of this Rental Agreement and such failure continues for a period of five (5) days, (ii) Lessee fails to comply with any other term or provision of this Rental Agreement and such failure continues for a period of ten (10) days after receipt of notice of such failure from Lessor, (iii) Lessee becomes bankrupt, insolvent or makes an assignment for the benefit of its creditors, (iv) involuntary bankruptcy or receivership proceedings are instituted against Lessee or its direct or indirect parent company and such petition or proceeding is not stayed or withdrawn within forty-five (45) days, (v) Lessor reasonably believes that Lessee is unable to comply with the payment terms hereof or is likely to become bankrupt, insolvent or make an assignment for the benefit of its creditors, (vi) the Equipment is lost, damaged, stolen, destroyed or seized by a governmental agency after it had been placed in the possession of Lessee, (vii) Lessor has a reasonable belief that a material risk of damage to the Equipment exists or that Lessee cannot adequately protect the Equipment, or (vii) a Force Majeure event that lasts longer than fifteen (15) days. Upon any such default, Lessor may at its option, upon prior notice in writing exercise any one or more of the following remedies: (a) suspend Lessee’s right to use the Equipment and related services, (b) terminate this Rental Agreement, (c) during normal business hours enter any premises owned, operated or controlled by Lessee where any Equipment is used or otherwise may be found (each, an “Equipment Location”) and remove the same therefrom. Except in the case of gross negligence or willful misconduct, Lessor shall not be guilty of trespass or wrong or liable for any damages because of such removal of equipment, and Lessee agrees to pay all expenses of Lessor and Lessee incidental to said removal. Lessor has a credit facility with Comerica Bank (“Lender”), pursuant to which Lessor has pledged its assets to Lender as collateral. If Lessor defaults under its agreement with Lender, then Lender, may, at its option and upon prior notice, enter during normal business hours any Equipment Location and remove the Equipment therefrom. Except in the case of gross negligence or willful misconduct, Lender shall not be guilty of any trespass or wrong or liable for any damages because of such removal of equipment, and Lessee agrees to pay all of Lessee’s expenses incidental to said removal. Lessee waives any right to claim damages resulting from any of the above remedies exercised by Lessor. Lessee further waives any right to additional notice and opportunity to cure pursuant to this Section 13 for any default following Lessee’s cure of a prior default.
15. WARRANTY: Lessee has selected the Equipment for its own purposes, and Lessee expressly disclaims any reliance upon any statements or representations made by Lessor related to the Equipment. EXCEPT FOR SATISFACTORY RATED OPERATION OF THE EQUIPMENT, LESSOR MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THE EQUIPMENT AND LESSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS SAME. Lessor’s liability under this Section 14 is limited to repairing or replacing (at the option of Lessor) any Equipment not performing according to rated operation.
16. SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Notwithstanding any provisions contained herein to the contrary:
a. Lessee shall be fully responsible and liable for any and all damages to the Equipment caused by or otherwise resulting from (i) improper operation, maintenance and/or lubrication, (ii) improper transportation, loading and/or unloading, (iii) wind, hail, flood and/or other weather-related phenomena, (iv) fire, (v) theft, (vi) riot, insurrection, strike and/or other civil or labor unrest, (vii) explosion, (viii) collision, (ix) the willful misconduct or negligence of any person other than Lessor or (x) any other cause whatsoever (including any other Force Majeure Event not otherwise listed above), other than ordinary wear and tear.
b. With respect to any maintenance or repair of the Equipment determined by Lessor to be its responsibility, any and all labor and parts required therefor will be provided by Lessor at no charge to Lessee.
c. With respect to any maintenance or repair of the Equipment determined by Lessor to be the responsibility of Lessee, Lessee agrees to pay, within thirty (30) days from receipt of Lessor’s invoice, all applicable transportation costs, travel time, mileage, labor and parts for the repair, even if such service is performed by Lessor following return of the Equipment.
d. Lessee acknowledges that the Equipment is unique in design and manufacture, and, as to Lessor, inherently valuable as rental equipment. As a result, in the event of damage to the Equipment, regardless of whether ultimately deemed a total loss, Lessor and Lessee hereby agree that (i) the loss to Lessor includes (in addition to the Replacement Cost or cost of labor and parts to repair the Equipment, transportation costs, travel time, mileage and other such incidental costs) the loss of use of such Equipment (collectively, “Rentals”) until the same is fully repaired or replaced and (ii) Lessee shall be liable for and shall pay, within thirty (30) days from receipt of Lessor’s invoice, the Rentals that such damaged Equipment could have produced, in each case at Lessor’s then current published rental rate, during the period of time commencing on the date upon which the Equipment was damaged and ending on the date such Equipment is fully repaired or replaced.
17. TAXES AND FEES: Lessee shall pay all license fees, registration fees, assessments, duties and taxes that may now or hereafter be imposed upon the ownership, possession, lease or use of the Equipment, excepting only those based on Lessor’s net income or otherwise exempted by law. Lessee shall promptly notify Lessor of the receipt of any tax notices, tax reports or inquiries or notices from taxing or other authorities concerning taxes, fees or assessments related to the Equipment.
18. COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS: Lessee shall comply with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to the use and operation of the Equipment, including, without limitation, any and all local, state or federal environmental laws.
19. OWNERSHIP OF EQUIPMENT; ENCUMBRANCES: The Equipment is, and shall at all times remain, the property of Lessor, and Lessee shall have no right, title or interest therein or thereto other than the right of possession and use of the Equipment pursuant to the terms of this Rental Agreement. Lessee shall not remove or deface any plate or marking on the Equipment identifying Lessor as the owner of the Equipment or the manufacturer’s serial number. The Equipment is, and shall at all times remain, personal property of Lessor notwithstanding that the Equipment or any part thereof may now be, or hereafter become, in any manner affixed or attached to any other personal or real property. Lessee shall keep the Equipment free and clear of any and all levies, liens, security interests and encumbrances of any kind arising by, through or under Lessee, and shall give Lessor prompt notice of any lien, attachment or judicial process affecting the Equipment. Lessee shall keep Lessor informed of the location of the Equipment at all times. Failure by Lessee to inform Lessor of the location of the Equipment after written demand to do so shall immediately double the rental rate charged until the Equipment is located and Lessor is so notified. Lessee agrees to pay all expenses incurred in locating the Equipment.
20. LIMITED LIABILITY: IN NO EVENT SHALL LESSOR BE LIABLE TO LESSEE OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF REVENUES, PROFITS OR ANTICIPATED PROFITS, LOST LABOR TIME, LOST OR SPOILED PRODUCT, DELAY, LIQUIDATED OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. LESSOR’S LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY OBLIGATIONS, IF ANY, SHALL IN NO EVENT EXCEED THE TOTAL AMOUNT PAID BY LESSEE TO LESSOR PURSUANT TO THIS RENTAL AGREEMENT FOR THE EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO SUCH CLAIM OR DISPUTE.
21. NOTICE: For purposes of this Rental Agreement, notice shall be provided and deemed made by the following methods only: (I) by U.S. certified or registered Mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, on the date the return receipt is signed or, if not signed and/or accepted, then on the date the return receipt establishes the first attempt at delivery was made; (ii) by nationally reputable private overnight courier delivery service, 24 hours after it is delivered to the private courier; (iii) by hand delivery, upon delivery and acknowledgement of receipt by the party to whom it is delivered; (iv) by facsimile, upon documented receipt of successful transmission; or (v) by email, with proof of delivery receipt. Notice shall be provided to Lessor at 1314 W. Sam Houston Parkway North, Houston, Texas 77043 and to Lessee at the address identified on the front page of this Rental Agreement or at any other address subsequently provided by a party to the other party by any method provided in this Section 20.
22. ENTIRE AGREEMENT; GOVERNING LAW; VENUE: This Rental Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Lessor and Lessee, and supersedes any representations, warranties or agreements (written or oral) heretofore made or entered into between the parties relating to the Equipment and services provided hereunder. Without limiting the foregoing, no “click-through”, “browse-wrap” or other terms that Lessor may be required to “accept” to access a Lessee’s website or portal shall have any force or effect. This Rental Agreement is governed by the laws of the laws of the State of Texas. Lessor and Lessee hereby irrevocably consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in Harris County, Texas, and shall be bound by any judgments rendered thereby after all appeals have been made. If any provision of this Rental Agreement shall otherwise contravene or be invalid under the laws of any state or other jurisdiction where it is applicable but for such contravention or invalidity, then such contravention or invalidity shall not invalidate all of the provisions of this Rental Agreement, but rather this Rental Agreement shall be reformed and construed as not to contain such provision or provisions, but only to the extent that they are contravening or are invalid under the laws of that state or jurisdiction. All other provisions of the Rental Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.
23. CHANGES, MODIFICATIONS, WAIVERS, ETC: Changes, modifications, waivers, additions or amendments to this Rental Agreement shall be binding on Lessor only if such are in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of Lessor. The failure of Lessor to enforce, at any time or for any period of time, any of the provisions of this Rental Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such provisions or of the right of Lessor to enforce thereafter each and every provision.
24. FORCE MAJEURE: Subject to the provisions of Section 13, if the performance by either party of any of its obligations (other than the obligation to pay amounts due) shall in any way be prevented, interrupted or hindered as a consequence of a Force Majeure Event, then the obligations of the party concerned shall be wholly or partially suspended during the continuance and to the extent of such prevention of interruption or hindrance. For purposes of this Rental Agreement, “Force Majeure Event” includes any Act of God, war, civil disturbance, riot, strike, lockout, fire, earthquake or other natural calamities, legislation or restriction of any government or other authority, or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of such party,
25. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. All copyrights, patents, trade secrets, or other intellectual property rights associated with any ideas, concepts, techniques, inventions, processes, designs, works of authorship or other know how developed or created by Lessor prior to or during the course of performing work for Lessee, or developed jointly with Lessee, shall belong exclusively to Lessor. Lessor shall have the exclusive right to, and shall bear all of the costs of, acquiring intellectual property rights, such as patents and copyrights, for any inventions or developments associated with this Rental Agreement and the work or derivative work developed as a result thereof.
26. APPLICABILITY OF TERMS & CONDITIONS: The terms and conditions hereof shall be deemed accepted and binding upon Lessee upon transfer of custody of the Equipment to the carrier for delivery to Lessee’s receiving point, regardless of whether this Rental Agreement is signed by Lessee. If any of these terms and conditions of this Rental Agreement conflict with any terms and conditions provided by Lessee, then the terms and conditions hereof shall dictate. Notwithstanding any provision therein to the contrary, unless otherwise expressly agreed to in writing by Lessor, any terms attached to any purchase order or other customer-provided document are expressly rejected and shall have no force or effect.
27. COUNTERPARTS: This Rental Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original and all of which shall be deemed to be one and the same agreement. Signatures of acceptance may be exchanged by facsimile, scan or e-mail, and each party agrees to be bound by its own telecopied or electronically submitted signature, and to accept the telecopy or electronic signature of the other party. Alternatively, acceptance of this Rental Agreement may be made by email acknowledgement.